LUX Soiree: Fashion’s Night Out 2010
Looking for a good excuse to shop? Fashion’s Night Out, hosted by the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Vogue and NYC & Co, is a one-night special event, kicking off a month-long global fashion extravaganza honoring Fashion Week. The festivities will allow shoppers to enjoy a “fashion party” atmosphere while checking out designer goods, and retailers to reap the benefits of ramped-up store sales. In hundreds of stores around the globe, designers, celebrities, models and fashion editors will put their best heel forward at an array of fun, chic festivities open to the public—most featuring extended shopping hours.
Due to its incredible success in 2009, the second Fashion's Night Out will take place in 100 cities across the U.S. and 16 countries around the world. From 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Sept. 10 during Fashion Week, come celebrate the excitement surging through the fashion industry and enjoy some great shopping deals. Equally stirring and splurge inspiring, this globe-spanning celebration promises to be an epic fashion party no girl will want to miss!
To help readers navigate FNO, LadyLUX has highlighted some important events for you to check out in New York, Los Angeles, London and Newport Beach, each brimming with stylish surprises!
1. New York City's Fashion's Night Out will kick off Sept. 7 at the Lincoln Center with a runway show, in which 200 models will present the latest fall looks from designers, with options catering to all price ranges. Proceeds from the event will benefit the New York City AIDS Fund and the shindig will broadcast live on CBS.com.
2. The fun continues on Sept. 10, when 1,000 retailers will participate in New York's Fashion's Night Out. Scores of celebrity appearances are expected throughout the day’s special events. As New York City is the hub of the fashion fête, loads of fashionable fun is practically guaranteed! Highlights include appearances made by celebrities and designers alike throughout the city:
• Tom Ford
• Victoria Beckham
• Mary J. Blige
• Nicole Richie
• Jason Wu
• Alexandre Birman
• Thom Browne and Simon Spurr at Bergdorf Goodman
• Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
• Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler at Barneys New York
• Donna Karan
• Charlotte Ronson
• Zac Posen and Taboo from Black Eyed Peas at Saks Fifth Avenue
• And more!
At Saks Fifth Avenue, creative director Francesco Russo will introduce a Sergio Rossi special-edition FNO style.
3. Shoppers can get glamorous with a $75 makeover, courtesy of Henri Bendel, at the Frederic Fekkai salon. Attendees will also have the opportunity to don a Marchesa red-carpet gown with beautiful House of Lavande jewels for a photo op. Olivia Palermo is expected to be on hand to give posing advice.
If photo ops are your thing, be sure to visit the Cynthia Rowley West Village store on Bleecker Street from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. At this store, shoppers can pose for photos with Cynthia and models such as Taylor Kraemer and Rel Dade. Those in search of a stylish new “do” will be able to prep for a close-up at the Wella hair color station – as well as receive pre-colored, temporary hair extensions.
4. A Teen Vogue Block Party Event, sponsored by ASOS, will be held on the West Village street block. Actress Shenae Grimes and Teen Vogue editor Andrew Bevan will host the event starting at 7 p.m., followed by a full fashion show and live performance by VV Brown from 8 p.m. to 11 pm. Other fun FNO attractions will include shopping, giveaways and DIY projects.
5. Rag & Bone will be teaming up with 3.1 Phillip Lim on Mercer Street to co-host a street party featuring delicious food – such as burgers, fries and shakes – as well as a live DJ and performance by My Gold Mask Outside. Inside the Rag & Bone store, Marcus Wainwright and David Neville will be helping SoHo shoppers style their fall looks. Shoppers can experience mini-makeovers by special guest Gucci Westman, Revlon's global artistic director.
For a more complete list of events in the New York City area, visit Fashion Night's Out.
Hosted by the city of Los Angeles and the Mayor's Office of Economic and Business Policy, LA’s FNO will boast 200 participating retailers. Each store will welcome chic shoppers partying up a storm at fashion block parties, complete with DJs, champagne and famous attendees. Other fashion savvy neighborhoods are expected to participate in the festivities, including Rodeo Drive, Melrose Avenue, South Robertson, Abbot Kinney and West Hollywood. Here are some highlights to look forward to while spending the night in Tinsel Town:
1. The Beverly Center, the premier partner of the city of Los Angeles, will host two large fashion shows bursting with celebrities, designer personal appearances, retailer promotions, shopper incentives, gift bags, music and more! West Coast Vogue Editor Lisa Love and Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas will host the opening ceremony. A night anticipated to garner a lot of star-struck attention, FNO expects 66 stores to participate, each responsible for its own discounts and gifts. Visit The Beverly Center for a complete list of participating stores.
2. If your plans involve a stop at The Grove, you may enjoy an evening of glamorous gifts and fashionable savings. Partake in free wine and tasty bites from The Whisper Restaurant and Lounge, check out designer looks modeled in The Park, and enjoy a special appearance by Fergie at Nordstrom. Participants can receive a free Fashion's Night Out T-Shirt after visiting five participating stores that evening. Visit The Grove for more information.
3. At Beverly Hills’ Rodeo Drive, shoppers can celebrate FNO from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at 70 retailers. On the night’s agenda are a street Ferris wheel, in-store events, cocktail parties and special guests; tired shoppers can sustain themselves by means of parties. If hunger pains hit, you can check out the several food trucks lining the streets. All in all, the Rodeo Drive event promises to be a carnival-themed evening full of shopping, sipping and sweets, with good music and elite company. For a complete list of participating stores and special deals, visit the Rodeo Drive website.
4. Worried about the traffic? The city of West Hollywood will provide free shuttle service throughout the evening. Businesses all over West Hollywood, including many in “The Avenues,” will host numerous celebrities and designer showcases; the shuttles between streets will likely prove to be a godsend. For a complete list of participating stores and discounts in West Hollywood, visit The Avenues.
A short skip across the Atlantic pond, shoppers will celebrate Fashion's Night Out in London's West End on Sept. 8. Promised to entertain with London's favorite designers and models, and 200 stores participating, fashionable individuals will have the opportunity to mingle with fellow bargain hunters and to provide patrons with advice on improving their personal styles. Look forward to expert styling tips from the Vogue team as well as superstar appearances from the biggest names in fashion!
1. Manolo Blahnik is in for a busy night. First, the Liberty store will launch Manolo Blahnik's World of Manolo pop-up shop, which will include candles and chocolates. Following an appearance at Liberty, Manolo will be at his Old Church Street store, signing shoes. Shoppers will be able to try their luck at winning a pair of Manolos from the autumn/winter 2010 collection!
2. The British label Matthew Williamson will be teaming up with Momo, a chic Moroccan restaurant, to transform the Bruton Street store into a Moroccan Souk, complete with a Gnawa music group, Moroccan-inspired drinks and canapés for guests. All shoppers visiting the store that evening can enter a competition to win front-row tickets to Williamson's London Fashion Week show in September. Matthew Williamson will also be expected to make an appearance with a star guest that night.
3. Harvey Nichols in Knightsbridge will have designers – including Christopher Kane, Erdem and Martin Grant – close by to customize Fashion's Night Out charity T-shirts and tote bags. The first floor of the Knightsbridge store will host designers to liven up and personalize purchases. Afterwards, shoppers will be able to take a picture with their favorite designer in one of the store's photo booths. In the Manchester store, guests will have the choice of either attending a variety of designer trunk shows hosted by the store or eating a three-course meal while watching “The Devil Wears Prada.” In Leeds, guests can witness a large-scale fashion showcase of the key looks and trends for autumn and winter.
4. London's events this year will feature partying with several shindigs. On Bond Street, Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman and Giorgio Armani will be hosting a cocktail party at the Emporio Armani store. Georgina Goodman will also be in her own store for most of the evening, treating customers with cocktails from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and holding a competition for shoppers to win a pair of signature shoes worth 760 pounds!
To get a complete listing on all London happenings, read up on Vogue's UK's website.
In Newport Beach, Fashion Island will also be taking part in this year’s FNO. More than 30 stores are said to participate and each are expected to hold beauty events, cocktails, hor d’oeuvres, discounts and giveaways. Patrons will be able to shop at their favorite stores from 5 to 9 pm while enjoying DJ beats throughout the center!
1. The first 1000 shoppers to stop by the Concierge Desk in Atrium Court will receive a limited edition Fashion Island tote when they show a receipt from any of the participating FNO retailers. The giveaway is limited to one person with no minimum spend required! So be sure to make a stop ASAP!
2. A big fan of The Hills fashion? Shoppers will be given the chance to win a $1000 Fashion Island gift card to spend during a 90-minute styling session with The Hills star, Lo Boworth! Simply go to www.shopfashionisland.com/fno and enter to win the styling sweepstakes. Entries will be accepted through September 6!
3. Bloomingdales will be giving out sweet treats from 40 Carrots Frozen Yogurt to enjoy while shopping! They will also be having representatives from Elie Tahari, 7 For All Mankind, Lagos and DKNY. Shoppers will be given the opportunity to peek at each brand’s must haves for Fall 2010 as well as experience tips and tricks from beauty experts!
4. Neiman Marcus will be holding several fashion events on all three levels. A “Rapid Runway” fashion presentation will be made at 6pm on Level One in Contemporary; at 6:45 pm on Level 2 in Designer Sportswear; and at 7:30 pm on Level Three in Men’s Sportswear. Shoppers will also be able to enjoy delicious food from renowned restaurants as they enter through a cloud of Maison Francis Kurkdijan-scented bubbles to meet Marc Chaya, co founder of the fragrance. Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP (949-467-3385)!
5. Nordstrom will be holding its own fashion party. Expected to be buzzing with shopping, surprises and special events, shoppers will have the opportunity to view fall’s fashion trends, enjoy mini seminars with personal stylists, and visit interactive cosmetic mini bars. They will also be able to customize select shoes in BP with an airbrush artist, enjoy the spinning talents of DJ Mike Kim, and indulge in delicious Bistro mini-bites. To top it all off, participants will be able to receive a quilted black Nordstrom tote with a $150 purchase!
6. Stores throughout Fashion Island will be holding their own events. In Anthropologie, shoppers will be expected to shop with desserts, beverages and personal shopping services. In BCBG Maxazria, shoppers will be able to enjoy champagne while shopping the newest collection, receive an exclusive gift with any purchase, and enter to win an all expense paid trip to the next Runway show. In Betsey Johnson, shoppers will be able to enjoy 20% off any purchase with a complimentary gift. In Kate Spade, shoppers can enter to win a festive gift bag consisting of a handbag from its fall collection, a voucher for a private shopping with twenty friends, and more!
For more information on all the night's events, visit Fashion Island's website.
With so many LUX festivities planned, FNO looks to once again prove economic recovery is still in vogue.
Cheers to fashion, friends, and finding that perfect treasure!