Eco-friendly Hotel Built by Bank of America in Charlotte, North Carolina
Attention LUX travelers! Ritz-Carlton is introducing an eco-LUX option thanks to Bank of America. It seems the nation’s largest bank is opening the most eco-friendly Ritz-Carlton to date, right across from its corporate headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina called ‘The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte at Bank of America Center.’
This Ritz-Carlton was built to comply with strict environmental standards set by the Green Building Council, including water and energy efficiency, sustainability and indoor air quality goals. The hotel will be so green that the custom-designed employee uniforms consist of fabric made from regenerated plastic bottles. –USAToday.com
Despite the current economic upheaval, this construction project was started four years ago and will be completed in October of this year. There has been some speculation on the amount of funds needed for this type of large construction endeavor, even though Bank of America representatives have reassured the public that the funds for this project did not come from any of the TARP money recently provided by the government.
The hotel is a 147-room, 18-story building that will offer a world-class 13,000 ‘Wellness Spa Center,’ among other customary Ritz-Carlton amenities. This dramatic bi-level penthouse spa will offer eco-LUX treatments ‘utilizing 100% organic and vegan products’ and for all you eco-LUX guests, they have extended complimentary valet service for anyone who sports a hybrid or electric car.
It will not only be the first LUX hotel to come to the Charlotte area, but it will also be the first environmentally friendly one as well. Below are a few ways that Bank of America has ‘eco-ified’ this Ritz and the construction process, according to their website:
• 30% less energy used than a conventional hotel by using ultra efficient materials and the latest construction technology
• 33% reduction in water usage using Kohler plumbing fixtures, saving an estimated two million gallons of water the first year alone
• Employing energy recovery technologies to help circulate outside air, saves energy from traditional means
• Regional vendors utilized for art pieces to reduce transportation costs and carbon footprint
• Low-emitting volatile organic compound (VOC) paints, adhesives and carpets
• 87% of construction waste was recycled, diverting 1,535 tons of debris from landfills
• Hybrid vehicles are utilized as local complimentary transportation
• 150 Bicycle parking spaces on the property with a separate changing room on the premise
• Environmentally friendly cleaning supplies will only be used
• The hotel will donate unused food to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
• All paperwork will be printed on 100% post-consumer-waste recycled paper
• Banquet meeting room tables made from recycled aluminum
• Captured rain water system will be used for irrigation of the hotel plants
• Utilizing a Natural Water Purification System, they will divert 73,000 plastic bottles from landfills on a yearly basis, saving 104.2 barrels of oil, 48.7 tons of CO2 emissions eliminated and 604,528,714
BTUs of electricity saved in one year.
Overall, it looks like this hotel has set the bar high for future eco-LUX hotels! From additional perks offered for ‘green’ guest behavior all the way to the construction processes! The fact that this Ritz offers all of the 5-star amenities as well as the ‘green’ principles is what makes it truly LUX!!